,Increasing our intake of fruit and vegetables has been linked to lower risk of heart disease, stroke and some cancers and is a great way to boost your immune system and fight disease. A 2017 study found that over 8 million premature deaths worldwide could be avoided if people consumed more fruit and veg. In Ireland, only one in four (26%) of people surveyed reported that they eat five or more portions of fruit and vegetables daily. Research now shows that the greatest benefits to our immune system come from eating around ten portions, or about 800g day. Juicing is one way to add more fresh fruit and vegetables to your diet. Using a variety of vegetables and fruits in your juice also provides more nutrients and vitamins compared to eating one type of fruit or vegetable on its own. Here are some of our tips for juicing for a healthy diet.
What is the difference between a juice and a smoothie?
Juicing, in a dedicated juicer, extracts liquid from the raw plants and delivers concentrated nutrients. Generally smoothies are made in a blender by pulverising the entire plant, including skin and pulp, and they have more fibre and calories than juices.
Tips for Juicing
- Get your proportions right. For example, we recommend you aim for at least a 2:1 ratio of vegetables to fruit.
- Eat the rainbow. Include fruit and vegetables of a wide variety of colours to get the most benefit from the range of nutrients and antioxidants they contain.
- Choose fruit and vegetables with a high moisture content and avoid avocado, banana, rhubarb, onions and aubergine
- Wash your produce very well to ensure dirt and pesticides do not make it into your juice. Choose organic produce if you can, try our Super Juice Box, packed with hand-picked juicing favourites.
- Listen to your body. Learn what quantity of juice, fruit and vegetable combinations and the time of day suits you best.
Zingy Heart Beet Juice
Method: Scrub and roughly chop the carrots, beets and oranges, skin and all, and pass through your juicer. Add a few slices of chilli to taste.
Super Green Juice
2 Celery Stalks
4 Kale Leaves
Method: Scrub and roughly chop the veg. Pass the ingredients through your juicer. Stir and enjoy!
Experiment with your own preferred flavours, to find the combinations that work best for you. Perhaps try fruits and vegetables you would not normally include in your diet. Discover your own favourite recipes as you juice your way to a healthy diet.